Following the cancellation of the MotoGP class at the traditional season-opening Qatar GP due to travel restrictions resulting from Coronavirus, PETRONAS Yamaha Sepang Racing Team’s Fabio Quartararo and Franco Morbidelli will have to wait a little longer to line-up on the grid.
Their PETRONAS Sprinta Racing team-mates in Moto2 and Moto3 are ready for action though, and they have two of their biggest fans in Fabio and Franco.
Razlan Razali: “We share the disappointment of all the fans of MotoGP that the premier class will not race in Qatar and the Thailand event has been postponed. For PETRONAS Sprinta Racing in Moto2 and Moto3 it’s an opportunity to take the limelight in Qatar as there will be more attention on these classes this weekend. For PETRONAS Yamaha Sepang Racing Team the pre-season has been extended so our riders have more time to train and prepare themselves for the first race of the season. One thing is certain, when the first race does take place both Franco and Fabio are primed and very eager to race! Of course, a primary concern of the team and our sponsors is that everyone in the sport and supporting the sport stays safe and healthy so we will continue to follow the best advice and support the FIM, Dorna and IRTA in their approach to this challenging situation.”
Fabio Quartararo: “I’m really, really sad that the Qatar GP is cancelled for the MotoGP class. We just need to focus on our training until the first race of the season, but anyway Moto2 and Moto3 are still going ahead and our team is there, so we will cheer for them and of course it looks like they’re going well and we all enjoyed a good pre-season. “Thailand also is postponed due to the Coronavirus but it’s true that personal safety is a priority as we need to all be healthy. Of course we are really sorry for the fans and we will make a good show for them as soon as we can!”
Franco Morbidelli: “It’s a shame because after the nice pre-season I was really looking forward to the race, but these things go beyond the sport and beyond racing. We have to be sure that if we go to an event it’s safe for everyone inside the paddock so we accept the decision. It’s just a matter of waiting some more time before the first MotoGP. “Moto2 and Moto3 are going to race still in Qatar so we will follow them and cheer for our Moto2 and Moto3 team-mates, and hope that the fans will enjoy these two races. I’m sorry they have to wait some more time for MotoGP to start, but I hope it won’t be long. I will continue my preparation as I did over winter and focus on the first race. Whenever it will be, I’ll be ready!”